Monday, October 30, 2006

Poland Springs Marathon Kickoff




Yesterday, TFK met to run an easy five miles in Central Park in conjunction with the Poland Spring Marathon Kickoff. It was SO much fun--there was definitely an energy in the air! There had to be thousands of runners, many of whom are running next weekend. The course finished right near the marathon finish line, which was just unreal. To think, a week from yesterday....

The best part of yesterday's run was not the 40 mile-an-hour winds, but the fact that lots of TFKers dressed up for Halloween! There are so many creative people on my team. Lance Armstrong showed up, as did the big green pimp, and a penguin. Best of all, though (and I'm not biased about this in any way) was the effort made by Team Fireass. Frank came up with the brilliant idea to get New York Fire Department shirts that said "Fire: Keep back 200 feet" on them, and creative Liz made flames for us to pin to our fireasses. With the wind whipping, it really DID look like we were on fire!

Check out Sarah's blog (at right) for her list (and PHOTOS) of the top ten costumes yesterday! Oh, yes, Team Fireass made the list!

I was sick all last week and I've been taking it really easy so as not to aggravate my injuries, but I think yesterday's energy, costumes, and beautiful fall weather made me go for it a little too much. I ran faster than commute and finished 5 miles in 55:55. The rest of my pace group was flying, and I decided to stick to warm-up rather than to race. I caught up with Betsy, which was awesome. I'm lucky to have her as a teammate and as a friend!

Getting excited to begin celebrating the arrival of the marathon! Keep your eyes out for TFK green on the TODAY show plaza on Friday morning! Friday night is the TFK team party, and I get to welcome the family to New York on Saturday! Then Sunday, I'm running all over town!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey molly, it's martha and jim just wanting to wish you the best and say how excited we are to be a part of your blog. We will be thinking of you all day during the marathon

TFK Bob said...

You are in good company, this is from Lance Armstrong's interview with ESPN, talking about people who suffer running injuries:
"I'm one of them. It's been up and down. When I first got into it seriously, I had hip flexor issues. They have gone away, but they've been replaced with shin splints, about the worst thing you can have for running. But I'm icing them, getting massaged, taking ibuprofen -- just trying to keep it together for Sunday."

Post a Comment