Sunday, July 25, 2010

Heat wave!

It is unbearably hot in NYC. It has been for several weeks. I don't remember last summer being this bad. Then again, I wasn't training for a marathon last summer. Anyway, Saturday morning was a shorter run after last week's trek down the west side. We met at 6:45 in Central Park and did five miles. We had the option to add the "magic mile", but nobody wanted to do that. I feel like I sweat off at least 10 lbs! (Oh, if only that were true, right?)

One of the suggestions Andrea Moss made when we met is that I switch my Gatorade for coconut water because coconut water doesn't have artificial sweetners. Yesterday, the coconut water I carried with me didn't last very long. I'm experimenting with different flavors. So far, I like the plain and the peach mango. Yum.

After the run, we had a clinic on running form with Mary from Jack Rabbit. She gave us some exercises to do, so if you see me skipping in the park, don't be alarmed. She talked about balance, arm carriage, and foot positioning, too. I'll have to talk to my physical therapist about everything she said, because I'm sure my issues with running form have to do with what we're already working on. Mary also said that we should work on getting our strides up to 90/minute in order to maximize efficiency when we run. I've never counted strides and have no idea where I am, so I'm curious to try it. It has nothing to do with speed, but will allow me to conserve energy during races.

Lastly, I'm tapering off the medication. I'm down to once a day from twice. We'll see how I feel. Hoping for the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment