Sunday, August 01, 2010

16 Miler (aka The Run That Would Not End)

Yesterday was our 16 miler. It was an absolutely gorgeous day: cool with a breeze. We met on the UWS. I decided to do 1/1 with Mary, George and some other folks. I figured it was better to take it easy. I haven't been feeling well the past few days, and I've been a little achy since tapering the medication. I stayed home Friday night to ice my knees in anticipation of Saturday morning, but I was still a little concerned about how it would go.

Anyway, we did five miles in the park before heading up the West Side. I never knew about the greenway when I lived in that neighborhood. Only now do I realize what I was missing! A great path, beautiful views of the water and the bridge. Just gorgeous. Right around mile 7, we started to get a little antsy for the aid stop at the halfway point (the Fairway parking lot). I was very happy to see our volunteers with a van fully stocked with water, Gatorade, fig newtons, and other goodies. We took a quick bathroom break at Fairway. The weird looks we got were pretty funny. Was it our beeping watches or our fuel belts, I wonder?

We set off after Fairway up the greenway to the Little Red Lighthouse by the GWB. This is where the run started to feel really long. According to our route, the lighthouse was 3 miles past the Fairway stop, but it felt like 10 miles. Mary and I said that the lighthouse fairies were moving it. My hip and knee were really starting to ache. We finally arrived at the lighthouse at mile 11 and turned around. Our next landmark was Fairway (again), where we stopped briefly for water and Gatorade. After that, we kept going downtown along the water. This time, the breeze was at our backs. It was pretty crowded with cyclists and we were looking at every turnoff wondering if it was ours. By the time we arrived at 88th street, we were psychologically spent. We passed the group ahead of us at 86th street and Riverside Drive, heading west, back to our stopping point at the park. According to Mary's GPS, the run was more like 17 or 17.5 miles. I can't tell if it felt longer because the mileage was off or because my legs hurt and my mind was elsewhere.

I grabbed a sandwich and a banana before getting on the train back to Brooklyn. By then, I was in no mood for the ride back. Crowded, hot subway, 25 minute wait for the 2 train at Times Square, screaming children. I finally got home and laid around like a slug all afternoon. It was awesome, except for the knee pain. Is it possible to wrap up completely in ice packs?

I'm so glad 16 is over. Only 14 more weeks left to go until 11/7. I can't believe it. We drop down to 6-8 miles next week and then tackle 18 after that. I hope it goes more smoothly than yesterday did.

No comments:

Post a Comment