Sunday, September 03, 2006

T and I earned our Jamba Juice today!

TFK folks ran an easy 10 miles (not too long ago, 10 miles seemed like a lot!) in the remnants of Ernesto yesterday, and I slept in and had a very lazy day on my own. i'd already committed to running the same 14.2 mile training run this morning that i did last year, the one from the top of manhattan to the top of battery park. T couldn't join me last year, so I did it on my own with some help from three very kind strangers, two of which came over and reintroduced themselves after today's run! how fitting, to go back a year later to the run that welcomed me to New York and started me thinking that I might be able to do a marathon! I was getting a little nostalgic, but I tried to keep it under control. But seriously, how fast did the year go?

T and I found each other on the subway really early this morning, and we headed to the start. T was a little anxious about the distance, and kept telling me that I was her coach for the day. I'm not sure how much coaching I did, but I did keep us at a comfortable "commute" pace and prevented T from starting out too fast. By mile 10, we were passing folks who did just that! The run was just beautiful--the sun was shining, the neighborhoods were interesting, the views from Riverside drive were breathtaking, and we had plenty of time to catch up on life. I could've done without the annoying DJ who kept telling us to speed up and the two dead rats that were in my path, but otherwise, it was a fun few hours! T kept saying that I've joined some weird cult, which I guess is true to a certain extent, because everyone at the run was talking about last weekend's half or races coming up, and T felt like she was the only one not wearing a running t-shirt. (She wasn't). She does have a point, though--there is definitely a culture of running, and if she thought this run was intense, she should be part of some of the TFK back and forth that goes on at practice and online! Who else gets excited about gatorade high endurance?

T did great, and by the end of the run we were talking about how good a Jamba Juice would taste, so we took off to satisfy the craving. Two Strawberry Sunrises later, we were much happier campers. Now it's on to the rest of the day, which means homework and other chores to get ready for the start of classes on Tuesday. No pictures of today's run--I guess we forgot, although we did talk about taking some! You'll just have to take our word for it!

1 comment:

Dave Wakeman's Blog said...

I assume that you are referring to my love of Orange Gatorade Endurance...

Post a Comment