Sunday, September 17, 2006

Discouraged...

Yesterday, I traveled with the team out to Harrison, NY for an 11-mile recovery run. I had a hard time getting up--I kept thinking, "Why get up for 11 miles? What's the point?" That wasn't cockiness. but tiredness. We did start at 9am, though, so I didn't have to get up TOO early. Thanks to Nina for driving out to Westchester! It was awesome, and the company was fun :). Dave, can I hear a little more of your Forrest Gump impression? I promise I'll work on being more spontaneous!

What a beautiful day for a run! We got going, and immediately, my hip flexor (pulled last weekend) started to hurt. I'd been nursing it all week and I thought I could push through it, but then I realized that it would be smarter to stop, rest, and be in good shape for next weekend's 20 miler. At mile 3, I bailed out. My team was really supportive and said they were proud of me for making the decision to stop. Autumn, a great TFK supporter, came to pick me up and drove me back to the start area. She was lovely and tried to sell the benefits of the run/walk plan for the marathon. If I don't rebound from this injury, I very well might be run/walking!

Back at the start/finish, I was really frustrated. I've felt pretty good after every run so far this season, with the exception of yesterday and last week. To have two bad weeks in a row is pretty discouraging. I kept telling myself, though, that it's better to have to stop on the 11 miler rather than to stop during the 20. I sat and watched the fast pace groups come in (these are folks COMMUTING at 8:00 minutes and under--crazy fast!), which was pretty cool because I'm usually out on the course for hours after they finish. They were all really nice, stopping and asking me how I was and bringing me ice. TFK staff took really good care of me, too, as always. It's such a supportive group. I've experienced it firsthand several times now!

As the other groups started coming in, I moved over to the finish line so I could cheer the Fireasses in. It was a tough run for some groups--the body is still recovering from our 18 miler last weekend, and the course, though beautiful, was really confusing and some groups got lost and ran several extra miles. I said I felt the support when I had to stop running--I saw what may be the strongest example of what a great group TFK is. Avi and Bob, two of the speedracers who came in with the fastest pace groups, ran the last 1/4 mile with runners who were struggling to finish. It was really amazing to watch, and I could how grateful my teammates were for the extra little boost. Such a simple gesture, and it made SUCH a difference for so many people! Avi and Bob, you guys rock!

I'm going to be taking it easy this week. Coach Adam told me not to run with a hurt hip, and to do no-impact cardio only. He said swimming was ok, so I went to the pool for awhile when I got home yesterday to get rid of some of my frustration. I felt better, but not 100%. I think a visit with the Aldens today will help my mood a bit--I do love it when fun people randomly show up in NYC! Here's to being better by next week's 20!

4 comments:

TFK Bob said...

Don't be discouraged, I had the same problem last year. I had to miss a couple of training runs, got better but then the problem recurred just before the 23 miler and was still bad on marathon day. But I still managed to run through the pain to finish the race (under 4 hours), I'm sure you can too!

Amy said...

Hi Moira,
Thanks for the donation - I'm sure the video will be great. Bob is an expert and I'm excited to help him. Don't be too discouraged, I've had a rough couple of runs too and could barely finish my 11 on Saturday. Still plenty of time to recover for a good marathon day
Thanks again,
Amy

Sarah said...

Hi Moira,
Thanks for the kind words of encouragement! I'm not sure if my hamstring will be better for this weekends 20 miler (lets not kid ourselves that its a "3 miler"), but I'll be there volunteering if I don't run! Hope you're feeling better!

Sarah

Dave Wakeman's Blog said...

"Jenny...I maybe stupid but I know what love is." And then the movie got canceled...say what?

Post a Comment