Sunday, September 24, 2006

Does someone have a hip flexor I can borrow?

Seriously, I'm about to trade my left hip flexor in for another one! Today was the big 20-miler (or, as the coaches were calling it, "a 3- mile race preceded by a 17-mile commute) from 168th street over the GWB to Palisades State Park in Jersey and back. I was nervous about it all week because of my stupid hip--no running for me since last weekend's failed attempted at 11 miles in Harrison. I stuck to no-impact cardio, pool workouts and rest. I felt much better by Thursday and thought that I might be able to pull 20 miles off today, but when I woke up this morning, my hip still hurt. Oh well, off I went at 5:45am to get uptown in time for my pace group's start. Oh, and there were definitely people coming home as I was leaving. Awesome.

It was pretty eerie getting off the subway at 6:15am (still dark) by Columbia Presbyterian and head down to Riverside Drive. I stopped at the hospital to use the bathroom and the guard didn't want to let me in until I smiled at him and showed him my Columbia i.d. Who knew that it would come in so handy?

Anyway, my pace group assembled and off we went (sans Frank due to Rosh Hashanah) under Louie's fearless leadership. (Although, he and Steve were about to turn the wrong way and the 15 women in the group stopped him! This is proof that women are better with directions than men!) My hip didn't hurt for the first few miles, and I made it over the GWB again and crossed into Jersey. When we got to the Palisades and had to start climbing hills every hundred feet, my hip protested and I figured I wouldn't make it for the whole 20. My heart rate felt good, my legs felt good, my lungs felt good, but there was no way. I started walking the hills (they were BIG hills) and running on the flats. Omar taught me some stretches and helped me out every few miles, and soon we were run-walking together. I lasted until mile 10 and knew I needed to pack it in. Zakia came and picked me up and we drove along the course cheering runners on the whole way. My pace group looked SO strong and so happy, and I was sad, angry and frustrated not to be out there with them! This is the third long run that has ended prematurely for me, which is so aggravating because mentally I know I can do it. Coach Adam reassured me that I would be able to make up some mileage next weekend, but I have to focus on healing first. I headed home and hit the pool, which made a bit of a difference...Here's to a return with a vengeance next weekend!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what? Despite your setbacks, I have yet to see you frown.

Keep that up? And your attitude will not only bring you to a successful finish BUT a STRONG finish. I am so proud of you...

You are making decisions that will affect your outcome. Stopping when necessary and swimming as therapy. I am not an expert in this but even *I* know you are thinking with your mind, your body - and your heart. Which at times may feel broken but not lost.

See you next weekend, winner.

-B

Anonymous said...

That was Me, Betsy by the way. I forgot to sign my name! Oopsie!

-B

TFK Bob said...

I had the same hip flexor problem last year. You should make sure to go to the clinic on Wednesday it will be a workout with a guru who knows all about stretching. And stop running for a while, I took 2 weeks off last year and it got better but then I reinjured it right before the 23 miler (it still hurt on marathon day 3 weeks later).

Sarah said...

I am totally confident that you will be able to do this thing! I know how frustrating an injury can be, for me NOT running has been the worst part of training so far. (Well, that 20 miler was pretty bad). As hard as it is to take time off, just remember you are helping yourself by doing so and will be stronger in the end (mentally and physically) because of it! You ROCK and will be great on November 5th!!

Dave Wakeman's Blog said...

Ummmm...I have actually gotten lost due to poor directions given by women members, so I would be slightly careful giving props to any sex for having better directional sense. Direction is like intelligence, I know enough smart and dumb people to know that it is universal sometimes...same with directions...neither one of my parents were very good..see both sexes, bad directions!

Post a Comment