Sunday, July 09, 2006

training has officially begun!

Yesterday, I headed over to Central Park for an 8am five-mile timed run with Team for Kids! It was the first official run of the 2006 training season. What a beautiful day, and how energizing to see a crowd of people gathered together to run for a cause! I met some great folks, all with different reasons to run. (I'll bet you can guess mine--I run for fun!) Everybody wants to accomplish something for themselves and for others. It's so awesome and I realized yesterday that it's going to be so much easier to do this marathon with the help of a team. Just to be clear--I'm not saying the marathon will be easy--but with the support I'm going to be getting, I'm that much more likely to pull through on race day :). I love the quote on the back of the TFK shirt: "I ran my fastest 10k 20 miles into a marathon." We'll see if that happens for me!

I set off on the 5-mile loop around the park with group 3 and took it really easy. It was so cool to people-watch and pick out fellow green-bracelet wearing runners. True, a lot of them were passing me, but I'm not too concerned. I'm a slow runner--I accepted that a LONG time ago--but I can keep going for awhile! I finished in 52:35, which put me in the 11:30 pace group.. can't wait to meet up with my group members next weekend!

Sadly, I didn't get to meet Dave and Sarah, my teammates and authors of the two blogs linked at the right--Guys, we're all going to have to wear red shirts next week or something!

More to come--I'm just getting started!

No comments:

Post a Comment