Saturday, July 22, 2006

8 miles

What a busy week this has been! I worked late every night, so I didn't make it to Tuesday's or Thursday's runs. I did them on my own, and it was weird not being with a pace group. How strange, since I ran alone up until 3 weeks ago! Just as well, since it was about 100 degrees on Tuesday night and I couldn't fathom going for a run outside!

Today's long run in Central Park was 8 miles--4 with the Run for Central Park and then 4 additional miles, all at commute pace to build endurance. I felt a little sluggish when I woke up this morning, so I was a little anxious about how my knees would feel during the run. It was so annoying--one mile in and my right knee and shin started to hurt. Fearless pace group leader Frank told me to warm up and see how I felt, and after a few minutes, the tightness passed for a few miles. Then, my left ankle started to hurt. To top it off, there were SO many people running the race and it was about 90% humidity! Needless to say, it was a rough day for me. So frustrating, because my heart rate was steady and my breathing was good, it was just my stupid knee and ankle! I've spent the afternoon sitting down with ice on both, and planning to stay off them tomorrow!

Despite all my achiness, my pace group managed to finish the 8 miles together, and we ran the second 4 two minutes faster than the first four! Pretty cool. I also have to give a shout out to two of my fellow racers today--not TFK members, but I won't hold it against them! Larry the Lighthouse was back this week--check out http://larrythelighthouse.com. I first saw him last week during our 5 mile race. This dude is hilarious--he runs in a wooden lighthouse costume! I don't know HOW he does it. And secondly, I saw this amazing little boy this morning--he couldn't have been more than 7 years old. He had one leg and he was racing right alongside us with the help of a rollerblade and some cross country ski poles! I don't know who he is, but it was so inspiring to see him. It really puts a little ankle pain into perspective!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

hey moira!

So great to finally meet you on Saturday! I hope your knee/ankle/shin are feeling better, staying off them is definitely a good idea. I saw that boy in the race too, he was totally incredible. We were going up the first hill together and everyone was cheering him on as we passed, completely inspiring and you're right, helped put everything into perspective.

Post a Comment