Thursday, June 23, 2011

12 sticky miles

So it's Thursday, not my typical long run day, but I thought it would be best to get the mileage out of the way before I take off for a weekend full of celebrations (and sleeping in a little, I hope). My neighbor and I were chatting in the elevator the other day (it's a slow elevator, so we had plenty of time), and I told him I was running this morning at 6am. He said he wanted to come along. I thought he'd probably bail at the last minute, considering he was coming back from a concert in DC last night, but he was in the hall at 6 waiting for me. Note that he had just arrived back in BK an hour earlier and hadn't slept. He grabbed water as an afterthought, when he saw me carrying it. I thought we'd be in some trouble, but we were off.

I stuck with my normal 1/1, and he more or less ran alongside me the whole way. 12 miles later, I know much more about my neighbor that I ever thought possible. Running has a way of doing that. We did 3 full loops of Prospect Park and then ran down to 15th street and turned around to come back to Grand Army. The route was a little monotonous, but the company made the miles pass faster. I owe huge thanks to an unlikely running partner. Now I can enjoy the weekend knowing that I got my mileage done. Woo!

No comments:

Post a Comment