Sunday, June 13, 2010

What a fantastic weekend!

The family was down in DC this weekend to celebrate John's 80th birthday. It was great, a wonderful gathering in honor of a wonderful man. I arrived Friday night and Dad and I got up early Saturday morning to tackle 4 miles before it got TOO hot. (It was already 75 degrees at 7am). We ran out and back on the trail near the hotel (too many of us to stay at John's!), which was pretty good. It was an old railroad bed, so it was perfectly flat. I felt MUCH better than I have in weeks. The doctor put me on a time-released anti- inflammatory, and I am moving with much less pain. I almost forgot what it's like not to hurt. (Terrible, isn't it? I have so much respect for people with physical limitations). Anyway, Dad and I had a great run (well, run/walk). I love that he is out there with me!

The rest of the day was really awesome, too. Not about running, but worth sharing anyway. We went over to Arlington to wish Pop-pop a happy father's day. It was the first time I'd seen the marker since the burial. Arlington is such a confusing place, moving and heartbreaking at the same time. I am grateful to the armed forces, but I just wish everyone there died of old age like Pop-pop. We paid our respects and then went over to the Korean War memorial and had lunch near the GW campus (my old 'hood--for just a year). Chris was with us, and he said that we walked about 5 miles, so Saturday ended up being a longer mileage day than I planned. Still, by the end of all that, much less pain!

The party was amazing. John was so touched by everyone's presence. We ate, laughed, played music, and told stories. Lots of people shared memories of Mimi, too, which is always great for us. All the grandparents were with us this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment