Saturday, May 29, 2010

One foot in front of the other...

It's been a tough few weeks. Briefly: fantastic physical therapist suggested that I have a physical because she wondered if I had something else going on other than running-related injuries. I'm in pain a lot and not healing as quickly as I'd like. I went to the doctor and am in the process of exploring my options and collecting information. Nothing concrete yet, but I feel like I'm on track toward getting some answers. My PT said that the doctors may tell me that I shouldn't be running, which was very upsetting. She told me to prepare me for the possibility, but I didn't want to hear it. I don't know that for sure yet, so I'm going to do what I can until I have a definitive directive. Of course, I see the bigger picture, and if I have to choose between running right now and feeling good in the long term, I will go with long term. I go back and forth between being terrified by the unknown and hopeful that it's nothing serious and/or nothing I can't manage.

I got a little bit of hope today when I talked to our program director after our 6 mile run. (We were supposed to do 5, but our pace leader led us the wrong way and we added a mile). She told me that she has similar issues to what the doctors think I may have, and that she still manages to run marathons. It was great to make that connection with her, to get some support, and to know what questions to ask when I go for appointments. I'll definitely be asking about diet and vitamins, etc. I'm certainly feeling a little less freaked out than I did earlier in the week.

Today's run included a "magic mile", which is supposed to be a predictor of marathon pace. We did it in the middle of our 6 mile run, and I took it easy. According to the chart, my marathon time will be about an hour and a half slower than my 2006 time. I don't think that's quite accurate, but on the other hand, I'm just trying to make it to the start. Having a time goal at this point just doesn't make any sense.

One foot in front of the other...

No comments:

Post a Comment