Saturday, May 08, 2010

Run #1 = fun

I got up at 5:30am this morning to make it to Central Park for our first training run, an easy 3 miles. I was cursing the early hour a little bit, and wondering if I really wanted to give up all Friday night plans between now and November 7th, but I think it'll be worth it. Truthfully, there is no way I am making it to the start without a team and a structure to get me there. The goal of this morning's run was to see if this run/walk method would even work for me. Everybody on the Galloway team swears by it, and for someone as injury prone as I am, it seems like a good approach.

I arrived at our meeting place and was immediately surrounded by what seems to be a very friendly, supportive, and diverse group. It is so inspiring to see runners of all ages and paces working toward a goal together! I felt pretty good as we got underway. I was surprised, actually, at how nice it felt to be back out there. Those walk breaks were a great recharge. My legs appreciated them! I felt a couple tweaks in my knees by the end, but with some stretching and some ice, I'll be ok. (If Fred Lebow could run the NYC marathon after having brain cancer, I can run it again despite all of my issues!) Now I'm off to brunch with one of my favorite people in the entire world. It feels great to accomplish so much before 10am. That nap I'm going to take this afternoon will be excellent, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment