Wednesday, June 28, 2006

random ruminations

i was awake at 4:30 this morning--why, I don't know--thinking about things. (how vague can I be?) one of those 'things' was the marathon and my upcoming training. I had dinner with my brother a few nights ago when he was in the city on business (which is pretty amusing to me, considering that my brother is younger than I am and has an expense account while I am a struggling graduate student/aspiring social worker!). anyway, so B and I had dinner and I was telling him about the training and the race. He was a little surprised that I'm doing it, but I think he's excited for me. Leave it to B to point out the irony in the situation:

B:"So, where does the race go? Around central park or something?"
M: "It goes through all five boroughs."
B: (agape) "M, you are crazy! I couldn't even walk 26.2 miles without complaining. I think it's so funny how, growing up, my activity level was up here (motions with hands in the sky) and yours was down here (motions towards the floor) and now we're like this (switches hand position)."

He's right--it is pretty ironic when I think back to my couch- potato- anti-gym class days and B's tenure as a 3-season athlete. Now I'm running because I want to. Last year after the GRBA 5k, Mom and Dad were like, "Who are you and what have you done with our daughter?!" I started running while I was abroad a few years ago, so very few people saw me when I could barely last 20 minutes. Now they're all surprised that I can finish a half-marathon solidly. I'm pretty proud of that, if I do say so myself! Time for the next challenge. :) November 5, here I come!

2 comments:

Dave Wakeman's Blog said...

That's what totally cool...you start out not being able to last 10 minutes and slowly you get stronger and stronger. (Not that I am going to call myself "M Half Marathon strong yet, or anything.)

And I have a friend that is a social worker in Orlando, and I consider her a saint. So struggling or not, working towards becoming a social worker is a great thing...and incredibly awesome.

Unknown said...

Great work on the blog. Keep up the good work, and see you at the Marathon.

Post a Comment