Saturday, October 22, 2011

A week to go!

The Marine Corps Marathon is a week from tomorrow. How in the world did that happen? Where did the time go? I'm definitely not feeling as prepared as I would like. I feel like my brain has been running at 100 miles an hour for the last several months and I haven't had a minute to rest. It hit me earlier this week that I haven't even really looked at the course map for the MCM, and I probably should, considering I've never run it before. This is really a departure from my usual MO-I usually make lots of plans and have everything figured out. I guess I'll do that when I get to the starting line!

This morning, we did an easy 7 miles around the lower loop of CP and then over the Queensborough Bridge. I hate the QB and managed to convince my group not to do it twice, as was the plan initially. Some of us were advocating for skipping the bridge entirely, but there were a few others who wanted to run the bridge again before the NYC marathon. So I went along with the crowd and did the bridge. It was absolutely jammed with other runners, including what seemed like the entire NYC Team in Training delegation. Most of the runners out today were lovely and polite, but some on the bridge were a bit rude, elbowing their way past others. I never like to see that. Come on, people, we're all out there for the same reason. Those are the people who push other runners at the starting line of any race, saying "excuse me, excuse me!" What, are we not all going to the same place? You've got 26.2 miles to pass me. Etiquette, please.

Anyway, this week's task will be to mentally prepare and remember to breathe. Next Sunday's task is to finish strong. Next Monday's task is to recover. I can only do one at a time, though, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment